Sunday 1 April 2012

Calling all Turkeys

This early spring weather has made it tough for us turkey hunters to sit around and wait for the Ontario turkey season. I have been watching groups of turkeys wandering around the fields near my home and have been getting the itch to wake up at 5am and go sit in the dark, in a patch of property nearby...
The toms are already in full strut and although it's early and they always are in full strut this time of year, the warm weather has just made it more difficult to wait.
My favorite patch of woods is close to my house and it is not fair that I have to drive past and witness groups of turkeys wandering around looking for something to do. I have a great activity planned for a couple of toms, dinner guests at my house.
My collection of strange sounding calls seems to grow every year. Box calls, push button calls, mouth diaphrams and owl hooters. Not too mention the green chalk I have collected to help some of these contraptions sound like an impressive turkey. I have camoflage to cover every part of me to blend into the background. As you soon learn when turkey hunting, nothing is as important as not being seen and they have wicked eyesight. You don't need to worry about scent or adding something new to the area (like a blind). Turkeys could care less and take no notice, but move even a little and they will see you every time.


That being said they are not a really smart bird. I have shot birds before and had to get up and shoo other birds away. Sometimes they will not come in to a decoy or call and other days they will come hundreds of yards on the run.
So I will just have to wait, check my decoy again, maybe oil the gun again but I won't practice my turkey calls in the house again...honest!

 Every day is different and every new hunt is a fun memory.

That's is what makes waiting so tough. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment