Sunday 29 January 2012

Magic Lure Found


I found the magic lure today. I was fortunate enough to get some of the "ice tubes" from Bass Magnet Lues and these things are awesome.
http://www.bassmagnetlures.com/?p=1779

Chartreuse Flash was the first one to get dropped down the hole and as I was watching the slow spiral to the bottom the bait disappeared....magic!

Set hook and up comes a nice jumbo but still no sign of the bait, followed the line to the oversized mouth and forced it open...abracadabra, the bait reappeared deep inside. This is when I noticed the tube also glows in the dark. Cool!

I thought this must have been a fluke so I looked down the hole,nothing in sight. Good now I can focus on the action of this new tube. Drop number two almost made it to the bottom and it disappeared. A quick scan out of the hut window reassured me I was on beautiful Rice Lake and not the Bermuda Triangle...so I set the hook. Another jumbo perch headed to the surface.
After 5 more drops with the same results, I went out of the hut to look around, nobody in sight. I still felt like I was doing something wrong. Seriously, a grown man sitting on the ice, giggling like a school girl, there had to be a reasonable answer.
I had a close look at the package, there didn't appear to be any crack cocaine in there, just more of the "magic' tubes. The baits I have are the smaller ice tubes that I have been hoping for but the results were silly!



It probably helped that I was on Rice Lake and the perch bite has been great the last couple of weeks but usually a new bait gets a good look over by me and the fish before anything happens. Not this time.
The jumbos love these tubes. Judge by the above picture, the tubes are 2.5 inches long, the perch is around 12 inches, a jumbo anywhere you go, but we have been getting them up to 14 inches this winter. It is hard to pass up these great eating fish and I kept a few for breakfast tomorrow.

The bite was hot all day today with schools of perch in 10-14 feet of water over sand flats just outside the weed edge. This seems to be the pattern on Rice Lake, the fish start the ice season, up on the shallow weed flats and then move to the outside edges and if the pattern holds true they should be heading to the deeper basins by the middle of February. By Valentines Day and until last ice, look to the 18-22 foot flats out to the south east of Bewdley all the way past Gores Landing. Check out similar areas throughout the lake for loads of tasty perch and of course count on some bonus bluegill and crappies.
Most small jigs and spoons will work but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm using for a while.
 :)





1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I've never been ice fishing but one day would like to try it - fresh fish in winter, yes!

    ReplyDelete